you have a problem with authority, mr. anderson. you believe that you are special; that somehow the rules do not apply to you. obviously you are mistaken.
Ever notice, as in that quote from Agent Smith in The Matrix,
above, that anybody who ever gets anything done blazes his own trail? I love that, because it's only the status quo slugs who complain about it.
December's book is Proof of Concept.
Pretty stoked about this one, since after going two years without a book written by me, I've got two in one year! Sent out some advance xeroxes, and Mike Sterling and Dorian Wright are the first ones up:
There's nothing like "I want a Larry Young action figure." and "...this is a fantastic book. It's a telling look into the slightly off-kilter mind of Larry Young..." to make a boy's day. Read the rest of Dorian's review on Postmodern Barney.
says, "As it is, this is still one heck of a sampler book, and I wouldn't mind seeing any of these stories in a fuller format. It's entertaining and it's educational, and a must-read for any aspiring writers, particularly those interested in the adventure genre. Keep an eye out for it in December."
Diamond's order code is: OCT042321
mrs. jones is 17 and 6 and 24 moderately pretty she is all the girls you know
This week's Pipeline
puts 1000 Steps to World Domination
under the De Blieck household magnifying glass: "1000 Steps to World Domination
is the greatest example ever of how to take a very simple idea and transform it into a piece of comedy gold to be quoted and cherished for years to come."
Millarworld wag Chad Nevett has a quick interview with Bri Wood here.
...and an AiT shout-out to Andy Gohlich and his award-winning Halloween costume:
with auburn hair and tawny eyes, the kind of eyes that hypnotize you through
Enjoy this interview with Ryan and Andrew
of Scurvy Dogs.
Sample question and answer:
Q: How would you revamp Werewolf By Night, if Marvel let you be you?
Andrew Boyd: I have a 16 point plan:
1) Less Jack Russell, More Kurt Russell.
2) Jack Russell? I mean seriously. Why didn’t his parents name him Dane Greatly, or Boston Terrier, or Useless Chihuahua. Jeez. He’s probably a werewolf due to repeated childhood beatings and being forced to eat dog food. I would write about that.
3) I would do one of those very clever Shakespeare issues, like Neil Gaiman used to do for Sandman. “A Midsummer Night’s Werewolf” or “The Twelfth Werewolf by Night” or “JACK RUSSELL IS: Two Gentlemen of Verona”!
4) Did I really say 16? That was dumb. Uh, the Kurt Russell one again. The point so nice, I’ll use it twice.
5) Jack Russell is kidnapped by Arcade and forced to live in a reality TV show. At the end of the month, he eats everyone. Arcade and Jack Russell get very rich.
6) After getting rich, Jack Russell decides to change his name. He is now known as “Eduardo Fantastico, Prince of my Pants.”
7) Supreme Court sues Eduardo Fantastico, forces him to change name back. Russell goes on 3 week bender that results in accident while chasing the car from Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.
8) Jack Russell forced into community service. While picking up trash on the side of the highway, framed for crime he didn’t commit. Like a serious crime, like … giving a tattoo to a minor or something. Anyhow, he goes to jail.
9) While in prison, Jack Russell and Kurt Russell team up and fight sewer-Nazis or something.
10) A whole season of legal drama. Jack Russell gets new lawyer. John Jameson, the Man-Wolf. What Jack doesn’t know is that John never passed the bar, and has huffed so much pain thinner, he thinks he’s the Stargod again. Legal hijinx ensue.
11) Sixteen sounded good, like a nice round number. I should really think these things through more.
12) Jack Russell has cross-continuity crossover with G’nort the Green Lantern. Oh, and if he’s still in jail at this point, he’s out now. Struggle for 22 pages to avoid leg-humping jokes and lawsuits.
13) Try to sneak in leg-humping joke anyway, get sued by Marvel and haunted by the ghost of Gil Kane. Regret several things, especially “16 Point Plan.”
14) “Jack Russell: Agent of P.O.U.N.D” where Jack becomes an international dogcatcher, and has to go on stupid missions such as cleaning up after Devil Dinosaur.
15) Jack Russell accidentally swallows a quarter and dies. Kurt Russell delivers stirring eulogy.
16) Jack Russell reborn as the Phoenix Force, achieves universal enlightenment, and makes sure Jean Grey stays dead this time, or at least until the new X-men movie comes out.
And yes, I will be purchasing Oakley's Thump
I bought the Cyclops X-Men X-Metal Oakleys largely because I'm a prop geek, but dang if they're not the precision optical instruments
they claim them to be. Easily the best sunglasses I've ever had. So how do you make them better? Oh, yeah, add in a 256 MB USB drive and hang a pair of speakers off them. Music and digital files on a drive from my sunglasses? Yes, please.
people will complain about anything
Got a kick out of ol' Rich Johnston's
muckraking today; so much so that I dug up this old color key from 1989. Please don't make fun of the pixellated Chicago or my just-barely-average superhero art: only revel in the fact that busting out of a UPC symbol-as-cage isn't exactly the most original idea in Art: